This content is provided for information purposes only. See our Terms for more information.
You may panic if your dog licked or ate a toad. There are risks to your dog’s health and you should act quickly. But you can get help, so here is what to do.
If your dog licks chews or ingests a toad or frog, immediately wipe out their mouth with a rag, wash out their mouth with a hose with their head down for 10 minutes, and call your veterinarian.
Not all frogs are poisonous, but all toads and frogs can be dangerous to your pet’s health if licked or ingested. The following article covers exactly what to do to help your dog.
What to Do If Your Dog Licked or Ate a Toad or Frog
Here is what to do if your dog licked or ate a toad or frog:
- Completely wipe out your pet’s mouth with a clean rag.
- Wipe all the sticky poison off their gums, and teeth.
- Wash your pet’s mouth with a garden hose for 10 minutes. Keep their snout down so they do not ingest the water.
- Call a vet to obtain further assistance, they may need to induce vomiting.
As briefly mentioned at the beginning of this article, the first thing you should do is wash out your dog’s mouth and get as much of the toxins out before they have time to absorb through the mucous membranes or digestive tract.
Be sure to aim your dog’s mouth downwards when you rinse out their mouth to avoid them ingesting the water and swallowing any more toxins. Immediately call your vet and tell them what kind of frog your pet ingested while you are cleaning out your dog’s mouth if possible. This will give you tailored help while you simultaneously assist your pet.
If possible, retain a sample of the toad or frog to show your veterinarian. If the veterinarian knows what type of toad or frog your dog has been in contact with, they can make a more educated decision on how best to treat your dog for a better outcome. A veterinarian will be able to assist your pet one-on-one so be sure to consult for more help. It is always better to be safe than sorry.
All Toads Are Poisonous to Pets, Frogs May Carry Diseases
Your dog may wrongfully think the toad is a toy or a tasty treat. Although not all toads are poisonous to humans, all toads are poisonous to pets. Toads have poison glands on their skin to deter predators and blend in with their environment.
Most frogs are not poisonous in the US, but all frogs (including toads) can carry viral or and bacterial diseases on their skin such as salmonella. That is why, even though your dog may not have ingested a toad or frog, licking one can still be dangerous to their health. That’s why wiping out their mouth and then washing it with water and quickly calling a vet is so important.
Symptoms of Toad or Frog Toxicity in Dogs
If your dog licks, chews or eats a toad or frog, they may experience some or all of the following symptoms or reactions:
- Excessive salivation or foaming of the mouth
- Red Gums
- Increased body temperature
- Fast heart rate
- Trouble breathing
- Staggering and disorientation
- Trying to paw at mouth and/or eyes
- Vomiting or loss of appetite
- Weakness to the point of falling
Keep in mind that many of the items on this list can also apply to other types of toxins or illnesses, so it is always best to call your veterinarian if any of these signs occur.
Can Eating a Toad Kill Your Dog?
Unfourtunaltey, dogs can die from eating a toad if quick action is not taken such as induced vomiting. Be sure to take your dog to the vet quickly if your they ingest a toad or a frog.
With all of the dangers and distractions to watch out for when you are outside with your dog, the last thing you thought you would have to worry about is your dog eating a toad. You can take action to prevent your dog from interacting with toads in the future (CTNF).
We have a full guide on frog and toad-proofing your yard here.
More About Toads And Pets
As you can see, if you are quick to respond and follow the above protocol when your dog comes into contact with a toxic toad or frog, there is a very good chance that your dog will recover and be back their old selves in no time. As always, when in doubt, call your veterinarian with any concerns you have.
Learn more about toads and how to keep them away from your pets in the guides on our blog below:
- Are All Frogs Poisonous? [Complete Guide]
- Are Toads Poisonous To Dogs?
- How to Get Rid of Frogs Without Killing Them
- How to Move Frogs Out of Your Yard
- Everything There is to Know About Cane Toads
Common Questions When a Dog Ingests a Toad
Can a dog die from eating a toad? Unfourtunaltey, dogs can die from eating a toad if quick action is not taken such as induced vomiting. Be sure to take your dog to the vet quickly if your they ingest a toad.
Is the common toad poisonous to dogs? All toads are poisonous to cats and dogs. Therefore, ensure to keep your pets away from toads in your yard or take measures to keep toads out of your yard.
Will a dog get sick from licking a toad? Dogs can get sick from licking a toad since toads can carry viral and bacterial diseases, as well as secrete poison via the glands on their skin. Be sure to call a vet if your dog licked a toad.
What should I do if my dog licked a toad? If your dog licked a toad immediately wipe out their mouth with a rag, wash out their mouth with a hose with their head down for 10 minutes, and call your veterinarian.
How do you tell if your dog has eaten a cane toad? Dogs that eat Cane Toads may show signs of excessive salivation, nausea, vomiting, quick heart rate, red gums, pawing at the mouth, muscular spasms, disorentation and ingesting a cane toad can lead to Death.